FWT Homepage 


I'm pretty sure when these animals woke up this morning they never dreamed they would be treated like this.  How do these people sleep at night ?  Animals can't be treated like a commodity because they are living and breathing part of this planet.  How can people treat something so beautiful and as these wonderful horses.  We need tougher Laws to stop this kind of cruelty in sanctuaries, hoarders homes, abusers, sexual beastiality and slaughter houses.

Kentucky: Paul Schember, 70, was charged with animal cruelty back in 2010. Now's he's accused of driving around and abandoning his horses at various places

KENTUCKY -- A Nicholasville man was arrested on a warrant and charged with animal cruelty after he abandoned two Thoroughbred horses. Paul Schember, 70, of Nicholasville, was arrested by Nicholasville Police on Jan. 4 for illegally abandoning the Thoroughbreds at various farms throughout the county. Jessamine County Animal Care and Control Deputy Director, Frank Ruggiero, filed criminal complaints last week against Schember.

“(JCACC) has been involved since the end of October,” Ruggiero said. “We were called on a few occasions but couldn’t find anything to charge him with.” The deputy director said he has filed three complaints on Schember. The first time was in regard to his canines running at large on the streets of Nicholasville. The second and third time Ruggiero filed a complaint concerned Schember abandoning the horses — an off-the-racetrack Thoroughbred gelding and a filly bought from the Keeneland Sale.
Schember allegedly abandoned his horses, leaving them in a trailer for 24 hours straight. The horses reportedly appeared underweight and were found standing in their own feces. The man stated that the people who made the complaint were just trying to take his horses. Demand that justice is served for these innocent horses.

“The conditions kept getting worse. They were in about three inches of manure,” stated Jenny Hasson. She and other concerned neighbors filed a complaint against 70-year-old Paul Schember after he reportedly abandoned the horses on private property. She also reported that at least one of the horses appeared emaciated. Schember stated that he got permission from someone who turned out not to be the owner of the property. He claimed that all of the other complaints are lies.
JCACC aren’t the only ones who have filed complaints on Schember.

Jenny Hasson of Nicholasville met Schember when he approached her friend, Kathy Gonzalez. Gonzalez owns Karumel Farm Animal Rescue on Bethany Road. Schember asked her to help transport a few horses to a new location. “The reason he was moving horses was because he was being kicked off another property,” Hasson said. “Paul had notified her because she had horses and he asked if he could move his horses with her trailer.” But that is not what happened. On her way home Gonzalez noticed the gelding horse’s head sticking out of a barn on Bethany Road. “He had stashed the horse there and the property owner did not give him permission,” Hasson said. “Our main concern was the horse was not getting hay or water.” Hasson said she called Jessamine County Animal Rescue and took pictures to document the incident. "A gelding who was slightly overweight in September is now severely underweight. You can see all of his ribs," she said.

“We’ve been trying every angle we could to try and save these animals,” Hasson said. “I’ve pressed charges.” Schember says, "I grew up in a farm in Michigan. we always took care of our animals. we came down here. i love horses i take care of them. i love dogs. i take care of them. and you can see they're fat as pigs." “There are a lot of organizations in Kentucky that support Thoroughbreds,” Hasson said. This is not Schember’s first time being arrested on the charge.

According to public record, he was arrested in 2010 for second-degree cruelty to animals.

Full Name: Paul Schember
Gender: Male
City: Nicholasville, Kentucky 40356
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170 lbs
Hair Color: BRO
Eye Color: GREEN
Arrest Age: 70
Date: 01/04/2017
Time: 1:20 PM
County: Jessamine County, Kentucky
Total Bond: $500
BOND: $500

New Hampshire: Anthony Costine and Spring Romer arrested, accused of starving their four horses

NEW HAMPSHIRE -- Two people have been charged in connection to a horse neglect case in Deering. Police executed a search warrant after the department received numerous complaints about the state of the horses living on the 70-acre property.


Neighbors reported they may have been locked inside a barn for more than a year. Anthony Costine, 46, and Spring A. Romer, 46, both of 558 E. Deering Road, surrendered to local police at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, according to Police Capt. Thomas Cavanaugh. Romer also lists Quail John Road in Thetford, Vt., as a home address.


"It was abhorrent. It was as bad as I've ever seen in a barn, and I've lived on and around farms," Deering Police Chief James Pushee said. "And I've seen some neglect and abuse cases before, and this was pretty bad."

The pair have been charged with four Class A misdemeanor charges of cruelty to animals. Both were released on personal recognizance bail and face arraignment July 27 at the 6th Circuit Court Hillsborough District Division.



The last of four horses – newly named Solstice – was ushered out of the back of its trailer, its gray, matted hair covered in filth.
The horses moved slowly toward their new pens at the Live and Let Live Farm in Chichester. They hadn’t been outside in years, rescuers said. Another horse, renamed Supernova, was mostly skin and bones and had a visible tumor on her stomach in addition to her muscle atrophy. In their new environment, volunteers got a chance to closely examine the horses.

“This winter fur should have been gone a long time ago, but their bodies didn’t have the ability to shed it,” said Teresa Paradis, director and founder of the farm that takes in abandoned and neglected animals. “Their feet are clubbed and spread out; they’re not just long, but they’re also bigger than they should be.”


They rescued the horse from a field in Opelousas. It's work they're familiar with. Investigators are now trying to figure out who was responsible for the horse whose condition was beyond saving. He was just 13 years old.

UPDATED - Louisiana: Retired racehorse named Dr. Drip earned his owners more than a quarter million dollars during his career. Three years after he was retired from racing, he dies after being starved. He was found covered in maggots, a walking skeleton. He was just 13 years old.

LOUISIANA -- There are demands for someone to be held accountable for a horse that went from champion to starved and neglected. This is an animal cruelty case like no other for the St. Landry Parish Animal Control and Rescue.

"It was just sad. He had knots of blow flies this big, worms all over him and when you walk up to him you could smell him. I mean he was rotten. I've been fooling with horses all my life and I'm 70 years old and I've never seen anything like that before. I ain't never seen nothing like before. Never!," says Glenn Lejeune.

Dr. Drip was retired from racing just three years ago, his
last race was in 2014. This is what they've done to him
in just three years since he quit earning them money.

"So he just laid his head down and we had our vet, and the horse vet, both here and they both agreed that to euthanize him was the kinder thing so I signed the papers to put him down," says Stacey McKnight. Dr. Drip's case is being shared thousands of times online, and across the country. Stacey Mcknight and Glenn Lejeune are now leading the effort to hold someone accountable.


"What should happen to them is what happened to those horses is what should happen to them take something and burn that lip and see how that feel. Let them starve to death, you know ain't no sense in that, so the same thing they do to them horse should be done to them and a lot of this would stop," says Lejeune. According to the online database Equibase, Dr. Drip raced between 2007 and 2014. He won more than $250,000 in purses during those years. In just one race in February 2010, Dr. Drip earned his owners $24,000 by winning the Magnolia Stakes at Louisiana Downs in Bossier City, Louisiana. Dr. Drip's last race was in 2014 so in just three short years, he was turned into a walking skeleton.

(KATC - June 22, 2017)

KATC - June 27, 2017

The St. Landry Parish Sheriff's office arrested an 18-year-old for the alleged abuse of a retired race horse.
Dr. Drip was rescued last week from a field in Opelousas after an anonymous tip alerted the St. Landry Parish Animal Control to the neglected horse. The 13-year-old champion race horse had to be euthanized due to his condition.   

Animal Control began their investigation obtaining statements from the parties involved,and the case was found to be a felony criminal act.  The case was then turned over to the St. Landry Parish Sheriff's Detectives Section, and two investigators were assigned.  

Justice for Animals Reportedly Found Starving in Deplorable Conditions

Target: Robert Fournier, Sarasota City Attorney Goal: Animals found starving and living in inhumane conditions must be removed from owners.

Multiple horses and a cat were reportedly found living in inhumane, cruel conditions. The animals weren’t fed or given water, according to reports. The four horses were severely underweight and were not being given the appropriate nutrition, according to Lieutenant Daniel Tutko from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. A bath tub in the home was full of feces, according to a neighbor. “There’s a kitty around here somewhere around here that’s dying for food,” he said. There’s no excuse for these animals to be left to starve. Lieutenant Tutko stated there are resources available for people who need help caring for their animals.

Three of the horses were signed over to the sheriff’s office where they’ll be staying for a six-week feeding period to correct the malnourished. The owners, Benjamin and Wendy Watson, were charged with animal cruelty, but were allowed to keep their other animals, including the fourth horse and multiple ducks, goats, cats, chickens, dogs, and pigs. It’s extremely disturbing that the authorities would allow all these animals to remain under the care of this couple when the living conditions were reported to be deplorable. The lives of these innocent animals will end in tragedy if they’re not rescued from this couple and placed in proper homes. That’s why it’s crucial that we tell the authorities that allowing this couple to keep the other animals is unacceptable. Please sign this petition to demand that all the animals be rescued and that the couple receive a lifetime ban from owning animals.


Human Society Legislative Fund

Human Society Legislative Fund

On July 20, your U.S. Senator will vote on whether to allow your tax dollars to fund the slaughter of horses for human consumption. If language to defund horse slaughter inspections is not included in the Agriculture Appropriations bill, taxpayer dollars will soon pay for the inspection of horse slaughter plants, which would allow these plants to open in the U.S.

Please call your senator at 202-224-3121 and urge them to adopt a critical amendment that would prevent this atrocity. You can say: "As your constituent, I ask you to please vote 'yes' on an amendment to the Agriculture Appropriations bill to keep horse slaughter plants out of the U.S. This amendment would protect horses and prevent taxpayer dollars from being used to reopen domestic horse slaughter plants."

Once you're done, please send a follow-up message.

Act Now

Thank you—your voice makes a real difference.

Mike Markarian Signature

Mike Markarian
Humane Society Legislative Fund


Wyoming man extradited from Oregon in animal abuse case

Michael Aaron Wood, 39 of Clark, was brought back to Park County from Oregon City on Monday. Wood was extradited from Oregon pursuant to a warrant for three counts of animal cruelty. He is currently being held in the Park County Detention Facility awaiting his initial court appearance on the charges. Wood was wanted in connection with the death of three dogs under his care due to alleged neglect. He was already facing 13 counts of animal neglect in connection with the death and starvation of several of his horses.


Man charged in horse abuse case was previously convicted on 8 counts of animal cruelty

Cruelty charges were filed today against a Rhode Island man in connection with an abandoned pony that was shot more than 125 times with a paintball gun. New Holland police issued five citations against Philip S. Price, 65, of East Providence, Rhode Island. Price is charged with animal cruelty for transporting the horse to the New Holland Sales Stables for auction, according to the Lancaster County District Attorney's office.

Oregon: CONVICTED ANIMAL ABUSERS, Ross Bankston and Heidi Bankston, indicted on 15 counts of second-degree animal neglect

OREGON -- Two owners of a Clatskanie farm have been indicted on 15 felony counts of second-degree animal neglect, nearly three months after 15 underweight and neglected horses were removed from their property.

Ross Bankston and Heidi Bankston were indicted June 2. Each count is considered a Class C felony because the alleged offenses involved more than 11 animals, said David Lytle, public affairs manager for Oregon Humane Society.

Ross Bankston and Heidi Bankston, pleaded guilty to first-degree animal neglect in a separate case in 2014.

The owners of the horses have previous criminal citations for first- and second-degree animal neglect in 2012. They pleaded guilty to first-degree animal neglect in 2014. If convicted of the new charges, they could be sentenced to as much as five years in prison.
The Bankstons could not immediately be reached for comment Monday.

In early March, the Oregon Humane Society and Columbia County sheriff’s deputies, with the assistance of animal control, executed a search warrant on a Colvin Road property, where the horses were kept. Authorities seized the horses but took no immediate legal action against the Bankstons.

Lytle didn’t elaborate Monday on the horses’ condition because the animals are considered evidence. They are being cared for by OHS. He said in March that the horses were “extremely” underweight and at least one horse had sores caused by excessive exposure to moisture, a common condition in horses.

He said it’s unclear whether neglecting the horses was intentional or the result of not having the means to care for them. However, he said it doesn’t matter under Oregon law.

“It’s a crime to neglect your animal either intentionally or simply because you lack the resources,” Lytle said. “At OHS, our focus is what we see on the animals, and that’s what we base issuing a citation on.” The Bankstons will be arraigned June 20 in Columbia County Circuit Court.

(Longview Daily News - June 13, 2016)

Woman sentenced to jail for neglecting horses

Joanie Osgood banned from owning horses A jury found Joanie Osgood guilty of misdemeanor animal cruelty charges in May, and she learned her sentence Tuesday. Osgood was also banned from horse ownership. "I think this sends a message that you just can't leave your animals if you can't afford them anymore," Merrimack County Assistant Attorney Cristina Brooks said. "There are resources in the community.

Joanie knew exactly where the resources are, because she showed up a few days before the horses were taken to the farm." The animals were taken to Live and Let Live Farm, and farm owner Teresa Paradis said the rescue was the most expensive undertaking in the history of the farm.

She said costs have exceeded $70,000 for medical bills, hoof care and dental work. "They never ever saw the light of day from the dreary dungeon they existed in for so many years," Paradis said. "I can't say 'live in,' because they really never had a life. It was just existence." Paradis said she first saw one of the horses, now named Neptune, at Southwick Farm in 2003. "He ate at my heart for endless years. Endless years," she said. "I'll never forget those eyes."

Several people testified on Osgood's behalf. Her mother talked about depression in the family, the loss of Osgood's son and financial worries. The judge acknowledged the mitigating circumstances but admonished Osgood for neglecting the horses for years. Osgood's attorneys plan to appeal to the state Supreme Court.


Whisper Ridge Ranch Sanctuary Abuse


Ontario, Canada – “And it was just struggling and trying to stand and there was, it was bleeding from its mouth because it kept hitting its head because it would try to stand up and it would fall down again,” Faith Robinson told reporters as she tearfully described the final days of a horse at Whisper Ridge Ranch.  The horse, named Seek, came to the Sanctuary with its friend, Cider, in good condition.  Once at the sanctuary, the horses quickly declined in weight and health, until one morning Robinson and her friend Tori Black found Cider dead in a field.  “In a terrible unnatural pose, where she had clearly been struggling as she died,” Black told reporters.


A few days after Cider died, Seek collapsed in his stall.  As Seek lay dying, Robinson and Black repeatedly called Sandra Reed, the sanctuary’s owner.  They sent video of Seek suffering, but to no avail.  The following quote is from the Facebook group Save the Whisper Ridge Horses,

Sandra brushed it off and said “She just needs to decide to let go”. Seek’s moaning and kicking was so loud that it could be heard in the apartment upstairs even with the TV on. Faith Robinson and myself spent this time trying to reason with Sandra to call a vet to euthanize Seek and every time she said that she just needed a little more time to “pass naturally”. We took her temperature and checked her gums, and every time, her state had declined and Sandra claimed “Oh, she’s getting better!”. We took turns sitting with Seek to comfort her and try and syringe water into her mouth. Sandra has cameras everywhere, so you cannot go against her. Anything you do against what she says, she threatens to call the cops.

Seek and Cider
Seek and Cider when they arrived at Whisper Ridge Ranch.

Robinson and Black worked at the ranch from December until March, doing chores in exchange for housing and board for their horses.  Robinson says she often had to dig into her own pocket to provide any feed at all for some of the horses.  “There were several occasions where I would buy hay for the horses because we simply did not have any and (Reed) would not buy more,” Robinson said.  Despite many reports to the SPCA, an investigation was not launched until recently.  The lack of basic care was evident to all who were at the ranch.  “They don’t receive any vet care, no vaccines, no deworming, anything like that,” said Black.

Whisper Ridge Ranch Equine Sanctuary opened their doors on July 17-19, 2015.  There are approximately 20-30 horses left alive on the property.  When the press attempted to reach Sandra Reed, she refused to return phone calls or meet with the press.  An unidentified man who spoke to reporters at the ranch said that their side of the story would be told, but “not now.”  The sanctuary’s Facebook page has been removed and their website has been taken offline.

Seek, before arriving at Whisper Ridge Ranch, and after.
Seek, after a 3 day struggle for life.
Cider, before arriving at Whisper Ridge Ranch, and after.
Cider, before arriving at Whisper Ridge Ranch, and after.


Bridger horse abuser sentenced to 2 years in prison

Oregon Man Arrested for Sexually Abusing Horse

Tony Hall-Rivas was arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing a horse. (Police photo)

Detectives have arrested a man for sexually abusing a horse, which they believe had been occurring for over a period of eight months. Tony Hall-Rivas was arrested at his home in Oregon, and he is suspected of multiple incidents of trespass into a barn to commit sexual offenses against the gelding horse. Police believe the abuse began as far back as September 2012. There was concern as the abuser was becoming bolder, increasing the frequency of his attacks. He was scared away by the horse's owner on various occasions but was able to evade capture.

During the police investigation, detectives found items of evidence left in the barn, according to The Oregonian. A hat was submitted to the Oregon State Police Crime Lab for DNA analysis, said Sergeant Bob Ray, a Washington County Sheriff's Office spokesman. A DNA match on the hat showed that it belonged to Tony Hall-Rivas of Oregon.  "Over time, he became more brazen in his actions," Ray said. "Which is how we were able to obtain evidence that he left behind." The 47-year-old was charged with five counts of trespass, five counts of second-degree burglary and eight counts of sexual abuse of an animal, which is classed as a misdemeanor. Hall-Rivas is being held on $20,000 (£13,000) bail. Police believe a second horse may have been involved.


Six arrested on animal cruelty charges granted bail

Six arrested on animal cruelty charges granted bail photo

Jose Reyes, 38; Rathiban Monieram, 58; and Edgar Bica, 49, were at first appearance at the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday morning.

Six men arrested Tuesday on animal cruelty charges at three local farms were granted bail and released under conditions Wednesday morning by a judge. Edeger Bica, 83; Jorge Luis Garcia, 48; and Rafael Ramirez, 50, were released around 3 a.m. with bail amounts of $3,000, $6,000 and $9,000, respectively. The six were arrested after the Miami-based animal rights group Animal Recovery Mission (ARM) found that three local farms were illegally slaughtering horses and boiling live pigs among other acts of cruelty against animals. Using hidden cameras, ARM investigators filmed the alleged slaughter of animals at Rancho Garcia (15703 Orange Blvd.), G.A. Paso Fino (14873 Collecting Canal Road) and Medina Farm (2151 C Road). Since then, Animal Care Control has seized 766 animals including goats, sheep, cows, chickens, roosters, pigs and dogs.

Diane Sauve, director of Animal Care Control, said some of the animals are quite sick because of the conditions they were being housed in. Pigs had upper respiratory issues and were “completely emaciated,” and one chicken had no eyes. Reyes was found without a social security number and the sheriff’s office is unaware of his status in the country. He is being held on bonds totaling $21,000 and was ordered to present all travel documents in the next 24 hours of release. Monieram, a U.S. citizen, was ordered to surrender his passport and firearms to the sheriff’s office within 24 hours of release. His bond amount is $19,000. Edgar Bica, whose current charge includes a violation of his previous probation for aggravated animal cruelty, and does not have a bond amount. All but Ramirez face multiple charges of animal cruelty. He faced charges for buying and selling horse meat.

Florida state statute states “no person shall kill an animal in any way except by an approved humane method.” It also mentions that “no person shall shackle or hoist with intent to kill any animal prior to rendering the animal insensitive to pain.” In order to do so, the law allows the use of electrical or chemical means or by gunshot with an appropriate calibre bullet as long as it is used to rapidly render the animal insensitive to the pain. However, the police records state several incidents where the animals at the locations went through “unnecessary pain.”

At Medina Farms, a cow was shot in the head with a 0.22 calibre bullet according to the probable cause affidavit. While the company is legally licensed to trade and sell animals for profit, it does not have a license to slaughter animals report. A similar scene was observed at Rancho Garcia Farm, a property owned by Garcia. There, a goat was shot and slaughtered. Heidi Thomas, a veterinarian who reviewed the footage, described the practices at Garcia’s farm as “inhumane, primitive and frankly disgusting.” Some of the video evidence shows an ARM investigator going into Garcia Farm and buying horse meat. The person paid $40 for a bag weighing around 11 pounds of meat. It was later confirmed to contain antibodies from horses or other animals of the species. As per the horse protection law passed in 2010, it is a felony to kill, main or mutilate a horse. It prohibits the transport, sale, distribution or possession of horse meat that is not acquired by a “licensed slaughterhouse.” There are no licensed slaughterhouses in Florida. Sen. Joseph Abruzzo, who led the fight for the law said, “I am deeply disturbed by what has allegedly happened.” Robert Couto, an investigator for ARM, said that the farms were slaughtering horses for human consumption, which Abruzzo called “extremely dangerous.”


Animal cruelty suspect has rocky history with horses

Tiffany Febus has a troubled relationship with horses. The Orlando-area woman has been accused of stealing and neglecting 11 horses within the past year. After a judge found Febus "unfit to own or care for animals" in two cases involving horse neglect last year, she was again arrested earlier this month on aggravated animal cruelty and probation violation charges. Deputies found she had been keeping five horses in stalls piled with 12 inches of manure without food, water or veterinary care, records show.

One of the horses was flea bitten, had an eye infection and "large open wounds," causing it so much pain it couldn't stand on its right front leg, an arrest report said. A veterinarian estimated the horse's wounds had gone untreated for about two to six months and advised that the horse "may have to be euthanized due to the lack of treatment," according to the report.

Febus was previously sentenced to 36 months probation, four days in jail, was banned from owning animals and ordered to pay $1,300 in restitution after two separate but similar cases last year. In May, she broke into a Sheriff's Office facility and stole two mounted patrol unit horses, luring them into a U-Haul truck with carrots, according to a report. A witness spotted the stolen horses at a foreclosed home on Ward Road south of Orlando, where she was hiding the animals. Orange County deputies said they found them and two dogs with just a half-bag of cattle feed and no water. Officials then seized the neglected animals, according to the report. Febus called Orange County deputies later that day to report her horses and dogs had been "stolen." She told deputies she'd bought the two horses at an Osceola County auction for $700. She pleaded guilty in that case to grand theft and breaking or injuring fences.

Two months later, Febus was arrested on four charges of cruelty to animals, burglary of a structure and criminal mischief when she kept three horses, a pit bull and a miniature horse without food or fresh water on a stranger's property without his permission. Officials found "very little" water in a trough, but it was "not enough to sustain three large horses on a summer day," the report said. The trough was so high "the mini horse was unable to access it at all." All the horses needed farrier and veterinary care, and two were so skinny their ribs showed, a report said. It also said she stole at least one horse from an Osceola farmer. It's unclear where she got the others. The animals were again seized.

Orlando animal activist Lisa Blanck said a harsher sentence should be imposed if Febus is convicted. "There is a problem with sentences that don't take into account that for most of us, animals are a part of a our families," Blanck said. "For judges to just let people go with no respect for animals or property is inviting them to do it again." Psychologist and animal rights activist Mary Lou Randour has studied the psychology behind animal abuse and neglect. Randour, of Washington, D.C., said Febus' case is concerning because of the repetition of the crimes. "The judge did the right thing [banning her from animal contact], but I can see it didn't stop her," she said. Randour said in most neglect cases, animal owners "often start out with good intentions." "People can still care about animals in neglect cases. It's unlike intentional harm," she said. "In some neglect cases, they have a lack of resources or education. People want pets but can't afford them." Randour and Helmrich suggest psychological evaluations and jail time for repeat offenders. "It sounds like something more than probation is necessary," Randour said. "How to treat it should be based on the evaluation of the person. Make the punishment fit the crime."

Under Florida law, a second animal cruelty conviction mandates a minimum fine of $5,000 and at least six months behind bars. Someone with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals gave the Sheriff's Office the tip that led to her arrest last week. PETA spokeswoman Katie Arth said the animal-activist group is "following developments closely" and is "grateful that the animals have been taken into custody and that authorities are pursuing charges."

Febus is being held in the Osceola County jail without bond.


Unstable? S.C. man on probation for horse sex has sex with same horse again

Rodell Vereen, 50, has been sentenced to three years in prison.

Rodell Vereen, 50, has been sentenced to three years in prison.

He's a repeat sex offender - who should be registered with the Humane Society.A South Carolina man was busted for having sex with a horse, while on probation for having sex with the same horse. Rodell Vereen, 50, was arrested Monday night in the throes of bestiality by the filly's shotgun-toting owner, who also has video surveillance of the perverse act. "When they arrested him before I thought that was the end of it," said Barbara Kenley, who caught Vereen in the middle of his romp in the hay with her 21-year-old horse, Sugar.

Vereen was charged with buggery and trespassing, and was held on $10,000 bail. "Hopefully he won't get out," said Kenley, owner of the Lazy B Stables in Conway, S.C. "My goal is to get him away from me and my property." Vereen was on probation for a buggery conviction stemming from a November 2007 assault on Sugar, a crime that prompted Kenley to wire her stables with surveillance cameras. Kenley said cameras filmed Vereen having sex with her horse on July 19, but when she showed footage to the cops they told her they couldn't identify the suspect. She suspected Vereen would not be able to stay away from her horse, so she was ready when he snuck into her barn Monday. "I wanted to catch him firsthand," she said. "It was just a matter of time before I caught him." When Kenley pointed a shotgun at Vereen, he claimed to be looking for a bathroom. "I told him he was full of crap," Kenley said. "He apologized and said he didn't mean to hurt me."


Federal report: Colorado wild horse buyer sold mustangs for slaughter

The nation's largest buyer of wild horses repeatedly lied to federal officials and sent roughly 1,700 mustangs to the slaughterhouse, according to a scathing federal report issued Friday finding significant oversight lapses within a Bureau of Land Management program that is supposed to provide the horses with good homes. Between 2008 and 2012, La Jara rancher and livestock hauler Tom Davis bought 1,794 horses from the BLM's Wild Horse and Burro Program, which manages tens of thousands of mustangs that roam across the West and are, to many, potent symbols of the land's unbridled majesty. The next-largest buyer purchased 325.

Tom Davis is a bidder of horses at the facility in Canon City.

When investigators from the U.S. Department of the Interior's Office of Inspector General confronted Davis about the purchases and asked him how many of those horses had been resold for slaughter, he told them, "Probably close to all of them." According to the report, Davis sold many of the horses to buyers near the Mexican border. Investigators found records indicating at least one of those buyers transported large numbers of horses across the border to slaughterhouses in Mexico. However, because local inspectors who certified the transports often didn't actually inspect the horses, the inspector general's investigation could not verify that they were the same horses.Davis told investigators that he assumed the wild horses would be slaughtered, saying there was only "one place to go ... to the kill plant."

Investigators first began looking into Davis' dealings after news reports, including some published in The Denver Post, raised questions about where he sent the horses he bought. Since 1978, when the BLM first implemented a sales program as a way to control herd sizes, it has been against federal law or policy to send wild horses sold through the program to slaughter. In purchasing the horses, Davis had to tell federal officials that he would not resell them for slaughter. According to the report, Davis told BLM marketing specialists that he was selling the horses to good homes, either to people wanting "pasture pets" or people hoping to graze the animals on their lands for tax breaks. He repeatedly refused to name his buyers, and BLM officials apparently did little to follow up on where the horses went.

According to the report, BLM marketing specialists' performance evaluations were based partly on how many horses they adopted out or sold. Davis told investigators that he believed BLM officials "had to know" what he was really doing with the horses. "Although we found various discussions concerning allegations that Davis was sending BLM horses to slaughter," investigators wrote in the report, "none of these discussions yielded evidence that BLM employees sold horses to Davis knowing that he was doing so. Davis typically bought horses by the truckload from the BLM, paying $350 for a 35-horse haul, according to the report. Most, if not all, of the horses were older and had been unsuccessfully put up for adoption before. Davis told investigators he would resell the truckload of horses for $3,500 to $4,000.

Between 2008 and 2012, Davis spent $17,940 on horses from the BLM. Because it was the BLM's policy until 2012 to transport large sales of horses to the buyer, the BLM spent more than $140,000 delivering the horses to Davis, according to the report. In a written response provided with the report, Steven Ellis, the BLM's deputy director of operations, said the BLM has procedures in place to make sure wild horses go to good homes and lamented "Mr. Davis' deceitful actions." "The BLM has taken additional steps to strengthen our ability to prevent this type of situation from happening," Ellis wrote. In 2013, the BLM implemented new rules eliminating the bulk sale of more than four horses at a time, unless the buyer obtains special approval.

Federal and state authorities in Colorado declined to prosecute Davis for his actions, according to the inspector general report. Davis could not be reached for comment Friday. In a statement, Suzanne Roy, the director of the American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign, criticized the length of time it took to produce the report and called on the BLM to take greater responsibility for failing to keep the horses from slaughter.


This is from another county but it still has to do with horse cruelty.

Stable's staff shoot dead perfectly healthy ex-racehorse and dump its body on horrified owner's front garden - because she hadn't paid £30 bill

  • Kit was being kept in a DIY livery field owned by GG Centre in Raskelf, Yorks
  • Rider Beckie Warner, who leased the horse, had not paid £10 weekly charge. She told the centre she planned on paying the fee at the end of the month.
  • Owner told Ms Warner, 26, that Kit would be tied to a tree if she didn't pay. 
  • Police arrested two men - aged 36 and 53 - on suspicion of criminal damage 
  • Ms Warner: 'I'm distressed how somebody could put a bullet in its head for just £30'.

  • An equestrian centre shot dead a perfectly healthy former racehorse and dumped it in a mother-of-two's garden at night following a dispute over an unpaid £30 bill. Seven-year-old Kit was being kept in a DIY livery field owned by GG Centre in Raskelf, North Yorkshire, at a cost of £10 per week. But 26-year-old Beckie Warner an experienced rider who leased the horse told the centre she did not want to pay the charge until the end of Kit's stay. Ms Warner claims she received a phone call last night, telling her that Kit would be left tied to a tree if she did not pay up. Just one hour later, she heard a dumper truck stop outside her house. She then saw Kit dying in her front garden from a single gunshot wound to the head, she says.

  • Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2795929/equestrian-centre-shoot-dead-perfectly-healthy-seven-year-old-ex-racehorse-dump-body-owner-s-garden-unpaid-bill-30.html#ixzz3RqwzKq8y
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

    Demand Retrial For Horse Abuser & Ban on Future Animal Ownership ! Please SIGN and SHARE !!!

    Not long ago, in Butler, Kentucky, an animal control officer was appalled at the alleged plea agreement by the Pendleton County prosecutors to give a Mr. Larry Browning back five of his horse after he was facing 14 counts of animal cruelty. It should have been a whole charges against this man at the Pendleton County farm where animal control found 49 dead horses and 14 others in horrific conditions.

    When animal control officer Scott Pracht went to investigate the farm and Mr. Browning, to an anonymous tip, he exclaimed that it was the worst case he had ever witnessed in his career. He stated that “He’s still allowed, for some unknown reason, still allowed to keep the five horses he still has.” They found 49 dead horses on the farm and was charged with 49 counts of failing to dispose of carcasses within 48 hours. All but four of the disposal charges against Mr. Browning were dropped when they allowed him to take what they call the “Alford plea” as part of a deal to avoid a jury trial. Such a plea deal means that the horse owner claims his innocence on all charges but acknowledges that enough evidence consists to warrant a conviction without going to trial. Apparently Mr. Browning was fearful of a real trial!!

    Animal control officer Pracht stated “I was pretty much disgusted by the case. I feel I should have had my time in court to testify.” Browning continued to claim his innocence, saying that he often nursed sick horses to health. So why were there an astonishing number of dead animals on his property, not to mention several other animals that were discovered extremely thin and emaciated. In addition to the plea deal, return of five of his horses, Browning agreed to 18 months diversion and reimbursement of $7,500 to the Pendleton County for their past care of those five horses. “I don’t know anywhere else in the state of the Kentucky where a plea bargain would let him keep the horses,” Pracht said.

    One of Browning's neighbor, Kathy Rice stated that she did buy some horses from him in the past. She stated that “He's been doing this a long time… it’s his livelihood. Any horse that I have bought from him has been healthy, strong and everything." Pracht however states that the conditions of the animals have drastically deteriorated from the time Ms. Rice mentioned to the date of the investigation of the farm that included horse skulls and malnourished livestock. The investigation also discovered that this man faced similar accusations in 2011 involving poor conditions of his horses at that time. Photos from Animals' Angels had photos to document the “extremely emaciated horses” at that time. People were blind to the circumstances at that time and Browning continued to abuse.

    Something is very wrong with this particular judicial system. This man not only was found very guilty of multiple animal cruelty violations and abuse, he has a history of such behaviors. This should have been a clean cut case of at least 63 felony animal cruelty charges and most definitely not allowed to ever own or care for another animal, EVER. Please help us in these efforts through this petition by signing and sharing it on all possible media sites.


    Peta: Investigation Reveals Drugged, Abused Horses in the Horse Racing Industry (See the video below)

    In March, a PETA undercover investigation of a leading Thoroughbred trainer revealed that horses are DRUGGED in order to make them run faster and to hide their injuries. Many, if not all, of the horses in trainer Steve Asmussen’s New York stable were given thyroxine, a powerful drug that treats hypothyroidism. Even if horses didn’t need the drug, it may have been given to them solely to “juice them up,” which would allow the animals to push themselves beyond their natural capabilities. One Asmussen-trained horse, named Nehro, who came in second in the 2011 Kentucky Derby, was forced to run with chronically painful hooves that actually had holes in them, one of which was held together with superglue. Nehro was eventually killed after he became violently ill.


    Two Men Suspected of Mutilating Horse Appear in Court

    CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) - Two men accused of animal cruelty, 55-year old Erasmo Nunez and 63-year old Arturo Aleman, faced a judge Thursday to learn when they will face trial.

    The two men are accused of mutilating a horse back in August. The horse, a four-year old mare, later died, and the men were arrested last week. Kiii News Reporter Sarah Acosta spoke with the owners of the Rockport Horse Rescue and learned more about the horse's final days, and what will happen to the two men suspected of cruelty.


    Horse Neglect: 'The mud and manure and urine was so thick'

    ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Some horses seized from Brookings are recovering and getting treatment in a Roseburg area rescue facility, and the owner of that rescue is pressing for tougher legislation on animal neglect cases. According to the Curry County Sheriff's office, a landowner in Brookings reported on January 19, that 10 neglected horses had been left on his property.

    Authorities say the horses were kept in small pens for about three months, that were thick with mud and feces. Officials say the horses were so hungry they were eating dirt and bark off of trees to stay alive. Lt. John Ward of the Curry County Sheriff's office told KPIC News on Tuesday about the first time he saw the horses living conditions. "I was appalled at the conditions," Ward said. "The mud and manure and urine was so thick, that the horses were having a hard time even walking, and were getting stuck."
    After being examined, authorities say the horses were found to be severely neglected and in need of medical treatment.

    On January 21, Sheriff's deputies and volunteers took the horses into protective custody. One of the horses had died and one was too injured to move, but the remaining horses were taken to Strawberry Mountain Mustangs in Douglas County for treatment.

    The owner of the horses, Michael Ray Perry, 49, was arrested and charged by deputies with 10 counts of second degree animal neglect and one count of first degree animal neglect. He was lodged in the Curry County Jail.

    Authorities say a check of Perry's record shows that he was convicted of second degree animal neglect last December in Deschutes County, related to neglect of a horse. It is not yet known whether these are any of the same horses that were involved in the Deschutes County case.
    Lt. Ward says Perry is out of jail awaiting a hearing, and a condition of his release is that he cannot have contact with horses.
    Darla Clark, the owner of Strawberry Mountain Mustangs, is not only caring for the horses, but is working on legislation that would help prevent repeat offenders from being able to own horses.

    How are the horses now?

    The horse left behind in Curry County is being visited by a farrier on Tuesday, and has been scheduled for surgery to try and repair his severely injured leg.  Lt. Ward of CCSO says he is hopeful the horse will be able to walk again after the surgery.

    As for the eight horses at Strawberry Mountain, Clark says they are showing improvement. She says some of them are already showing weight gain. Some of the horses are getting treatments and medications for the skin problems, and some of them are healing nicely, according to Clark. Most of the horses are mares that they think are pregnant, so they will need to be placed in foster homes so they can give birth in a quiet environment.

    Clark expects all of the horses to make a full recovery. She says she is frustrated at the fact that all the horses needed was, "a little food in front of them, and basic care."


    Very sad this is in Oregon


    This is Grace - the little horse with the big spirit. Deputy Lee Bartholomew of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office in Oregon saw her in this condition, and decided she might die if he didn't immediately enter the property to rescue her.

    Her owners said that his action violated their rights, and the county argued that his actions were legal under the under the emergency aid exception, which provides that an officer can enter property without a warrant if someone is in danger.

    Grace, argued her owners, wasn't "someone"; she was property.

    The Oregon Supreme Court sided with Deputy Bartholomew and Grace, ruling that he acted within the law in making sure this painfully starved horse did not die. Her former owners were convicted of animal cruelty and sentenced to jail time.

    Grace passed away at age 28, but not before she knew love, a full belly, and tender care. God bless you, Deputy Bartholomew, and rest in peace on green fields forever, Grace.

    Six Abused Horses Being Removed From Gates, Tenn.

    American Humane Association BREAKING: Red Star deployed to save horses in heartbreaking

    Six horses have been removed from Gates, TN and their owner charged with six counts of animal cruelty.  According to a news release issued by District Attorney, Mike Dunavant’s office Thursday afternoon, the defendant, James Mark Crook, has been charged with six counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty after not providing food, water, care and shelter for the horses.   Crook is in investigator with the Ripley Police Department.   Crook’s bond was set at $3000.  He was also ordered to have no contact with the animals or any other animals during the pendency of the case.

    The horses were seized and forfeited after the DA’s offices completed its investigation.   Dr. Jennifer Dunlap, an Equine Veterinary Specialist of Fayette County and the American Humane Association Red Start Animal Emergency Services Team helped remove the horses from the property and are now providing 24/7 care for the animals in an emergency ICU shelter at an undisclosed location.

    The six horses were initially evaluated by Veterinarian Leslie Young, who was called in by the Lauderdale County Sheriff’s Department after Gates citizens and animal activists claim to have reported the starving horses for weeks.  Dr. Young gave health scores between 1.5 and 4.5 based on a scale where ten is obese and five is ideal. “It was important that we were thorough and diligent in our review of the evidence, so that we appropriately applied the law to the unique facts and circumstances of the case,” Dunavant said in the news release.

    Crook is set to be in court Friday, September 26th.  In the meantime, for those who would like to help the horses, The Stockyard Nursery and Feed Store in Arlington, TN is accepting donations of Purina senior feed, alfalfa hay, shavings and monetary donations.  

    Release from District Attorney:

    With regard to the case involving the horses in Gates, Lauderdale County, Tennessee, I have assembled a team of prosecutors, investigators, veterinarians, and other experts to review this case and move forward with the investigation and charging decision this week.

    The defendant has been charged under the applicable Tennessee law with 6 counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty, for knowingly and unreasonably failing to provide necessary food, water, care, and shelter of horses in his custody. The Lauderdale County General Sessions Judge has recused herself from the case, and Crockett County General Sessions Judge Paul Conley has been appointed as a Special Judge in the matter. Judge Conley set a bond amount of $3,000.00, and ordered as a further bond condition that the defendant have no contact with the subject animals or any other animals during the pendency of the case. The Court has set the case on the Lauderdale County General Sessions docket for Friday, September 26, 2014.


    Thoroughbred breeder Ernie Paragallo convicted of mistreating horses on his upstate NY farm

    CATSKILL, N.Y. — Prominent New York thoroughbred breeder and owner Ernie Paragallo was convicted Wednesday of mistreating dozens of malnourished horses on his Hudson Valley farm. A judge convicted Paragallo of 33 of 34 misdemeanor animal cruelty counts in a nonjury trial in Greene County.

    The 52-year-old Long Island resident was charged after state police and animal welfare investigators raided his farm in Coxsackie in April and seized 177 malnourished horses. He could face up to two years in jail and $33,000 in fines, $1,000 for each count.

    Case Update:
    New York Thoroughbred breeder-owner Ernie Paragallo was found guilty on Wednesday on 33 of 34 counts of animal cruelty in Greene County Court in Catskill, New York. Paragallo faces up to two years in jail and $33,000 in fines "$1,000 for each count "a
    t a sentencing hearing scheduled for May 18. He will remain free on bond until then. Paragallo was charged following the April 8 raid of his Center Brook Farm in Climax, about 20 miles south of Albany, where animal control officials discovered more than 170 emaciated, lice-infested horses. “The verdict issued today … sends a message that serious consequences await those who fail to provide proper care and sustenance to horses,” New York State Racing and Wagering Board Chairman John Sabini said. “All of us involved in the regulation of pari-mutuel wagering have a duty to ensure that the horrendous conditions found at Center Brook Farm … never again manifest themselves in the barns and pastures of New York State.” The board revoked Paragallo’s racing privileges shortly after last year’s raid.  http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/15421/NY/US/#ixzz0o1m4QEKY

    NYC Carriage Horse Industry


    When you think about horses, where do you imagine them? Nature has shown us that they need room to move and pasture in which to graze. Horses are social animals and spend much of their time grazing together. New York City carriage horses live and work under conditions far removed from what nature intended and humanity dictates.

    Our Position
    Facts about New York City's Carriage Horse Industry

    What Is the ASPCA's Role in Monitoring Carriage Horses?
    Reporting Carriage Horse Cruelty
    How You Can Help

    Our Position

    The ASPCA believes that carriage horses were never meant to live and work in today's urban setting. In addition to the dangers of working in congested areas, these horses spend their days directly behind cars, trucks and buses, inhaling their fumes. Given the constraints and challenges that New York City presents, and as the primary enforcer of New York City's carriage horse laws, the ASPCA does not believe New York City can meet the needs of its horses. Neither the New York City environment nor the current law can provide horses with the fundamental necessities to ensure their safety and well being.

    For all of these reasons, the ASPCA is a supporter of New Yorkers for Clean, Livable & Safe Streets (NYCLASS), an organization dedicated to improving New York City's quality of life through education and advocacy. NYCLASS advocates viable alternatives to carriage horses that will not only relieve the City government of its financial burden, but will also avoid the safety and quality of life issues caused by the carriage horse industry.

    The ASPCA supports Intro. 86, Councilmember Melissa Mark-Viverito's legislation to phase out carriage horses in New York City, replacing horse drawn carriages with alternative, fuel-powered classic cars. These cars can provide rides for tourists, offer jobs to workers currently in the carriage horse industry and maintain the historic feel of the tours.

    Facts about New York City's Carriage Horse Industry

    • There are now approximately 204 carriage horses in the city and approximately 300 licensed operators.
    • These horses are permitted to work nine hours a day, seven days a week.
    • There are no pastures for grazing, no opportunities to roll in the dirt, lie in the sun, run or socialize with an equine companion.
    • It is illegal for a driver to operate a carriage when the temperature is 90 degrees F or above, or 18 degrees F or below. No adjustment is made to account for wind chill or the humidity index.
    • After three carriage horses died during a heat wave in the summer of 1988, New York City Councilmembers approved a law that greatly restricted when and where these horses were worked. But in 1994, the law was weakened by lengthening the hours that the horses are allowed to work and enlarging the areas in which the horses are permitted to travel including more of traffic-congested midtown Manhattan.

    What Is the ASPCA's Role in Monitoring Carriage Horses?

    To ensure that carriage horses enjoy a better quality of life, the ASPCA Government Affairs department works on legislation that seeks to improve the health, safety and well-being of all New York City carriage horses

    Furthermore, ASPCA equine experts within the Humane Law Enforcement Department exclusively monitor the carriage horses in Central Park—issuing citations for infractions and investigating allegations of abuse and neglect. As long as carriage horses continue to operate, the ASPCA will continue to enforce the law to its full extent.

    carriage horse

    Reporting Carriage Horse Abuse

    A team of equine experts within the ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement Department monitor the care and working conditions of New York City's carriage and riding horses. Our Agents rely on concerned citizens to report incidents or issues with the care and conditions of NYC's carriage horses that they may witness. The following tips will help you report suspected carriage horse problems:

    • The two most important pieces of information to provide is the time of the incident and the carriage license plate, a 4-digit number located on the back of the carriage. With the time and number, we can track down the horse and driver involved.
    • Other helpful information can include: color of horse, color of carriage, location of incident and hoof brand number of horse.
    • To report carriage horse cruelty or neglect, contact us at enforcement@aspca.org or (212) 876-7700, ext. 4450. After business hours, you will be transferred to a voice messaging system and your call will be returned by an on-duty agent.

    How You Can Help

    • If you are a resident of NYC, show your support by contacting your Councilmember and asking him or her to support Intro. 86, the humane and safe alternative to the carriage horse industry. If you do not know your councilperson's name, call the ASPCA Government Relations department at (212) 876-7700, ext. 4550.
    • If you are from out of town, please write to the mayor to voice your concern and keep updated by visiting our website at ASPCA.org.
    • If you witness any abuse to a carriage horse, write down the license plate number found on the back of the carriage, the time and location, along with the color of the horse or any distinguishing markings, and, if possible, the horse's hoof number, which is branded on the front left hoof. Then call (212) 876-7700, ext. 4450, to report it. The ASPCA will promptly alert a Humane Law Enforcement Agent to go to the scene.

    For more information on the carriage horse industry, visit NYCLASS. To stay up-to-date on important calls to action, visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center.

    Chad Moore, a former horse trainer, was arrested after a raid on a farm in Tate Township, Ohio

    Chad Moore
    Chad Moore
    Clermont County Sheriff's Department

    A local horse trainer will spend six months in jail, and is forbidden to have any contact with animals ever again, as part of a plea deal in a horse abuse case.

    29 year old Chad Moore pled guilty on Tuesday, March 2, 2010 to six counts of abandonment. Prosecutors then dropped six counts of animal cruelty against Moore. Besides the jail time and the order to stay away from animals, Moore will have to pay $2000 in fines and restitution.
    Moore, a former horse trainer, was arrested in January after a raid on a farm in Tate Township. Animal control officers found ten horses dead and six more animals alive, but starving. Moore spent several days on the run before he was arrested. The surviving animals were taken to a nearby farm in Bethel. Two have since died. The rest, it appears, are on the road to recovery. 

    Horse abuse in Clermont County
    The horses who were abused and abandoned by Chad Moore
    Click here to find out more!



    The Portage County woman Diane Silbaugh who starved horses to death.

                   The Portage County woman who starved horses was sentenced Wednesday afternoon in Common Pleas Court to six months in jail and five years of probation, during which time she cannot own or board horses. Diane Silbaugh, 55, also has to perform 100 hours of community service. She pleaded guilty last week to cruelty to animals, grand theft and forgery, for falsifying documents to show she owned a horse that belonged to someone else. She could have been sentenced to up to 18 months in prison for the theft and 12 months for forgery. Each of the 10 counts of cruelty carried a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail. Portage County Jail Diane Silbaugh (The mark across her forehead is a tear in the photograph.) Silbaugh has been convicted twice before of cruelty to animals, in Medina and Cuyahoga Falls. A group of animal advocates and horse lovers showed up in court to watch the sentencing. More than 20 debilitated horses were taken from her since Jan. 9, when an anonymous caller sent Brimfield Township police to her Never Rest Ranch on Old Forge Road. Chief David Blough said there were five dead horses in a pasture and four more close to death, which were confiscated. One of confiscated horses died within days. Tests showed they died of starvation and at least one died of salmonella poisoning from moldy food, Happy Trails Farm Animal Sanctuary founder Annette Fisher said. police photo Brimfield Township police found five dead horses at the Never Rest Ranch. On March 3, Judge John J. Plough forced Silbaugh to surrender more horses to the county Animal Protective League and the farm sanctuary

    Woman Pleads No Contest In Animal Cruelty Case Tulsa County, Utah

    KOTV - Updated 8/31/2007 2:25 PM

    A woman accused of neglecting her horses will not see any prison time. Roberta Christian was arrested back in May, along with her husband Darrell. Sheriff's deputies say many of the horses were malnourished and some were in confined spaces. Deputies say they had to use machinery to pry the gate off one of the stalls, because it was blocked by so much manure. The News On 6’s Steve Berg reports Roberta Christian pleaded no contest to one count of animal cruelty Monday, and gets a four-year deferred sentence. Christian avoided our camera at the Tulsa County Courthouse after she entered her plea on Monday. She was originally charged with two-dozen counts of animal cruelty, although all but one of those were dropped. As part of her sentence, she will be supervised and the judge ruled she can not own or possess any more animals.

    Roberta Christian's husband Darrell Christian pleaded guilty to six counts of animal cruelty. He also received a four year deferred sentence.



    The 'grotesque' cruelty of the meat trader who left more than 100 horses and donkeys starving and living in filth.

    By Arthur Martin

       James Gray

    Smiling accused: James Gray arrives at Bicester Magistrates Court. He is accused of mistreating more than 100 animals The 'grotesque' treatment of more than 100 horses and donkeys at a family farm was the worst case of animal cruelty ever witnessed by experienced vets, a court heard yesterday. Hardened RSPCA officers discovered severely emaciated animals cooped up in pens with rotting carcasses when they raided the farm earlier this year, it is alleged.  As they crossed the fields owned by meat trader Jamie Gray, they were greeted with 'the repugnant smell' of rotting flesh.  In another part of the farm, vets allegedly found a mound of skulls, bones and hooves from horses, ponies and donkeys at Spindles Farm at Hyde Heath in Amersham, Buckinghamshire.  Many of the surviving animals were so malnourished that they could not stand and were discovered collapsed in the faeces of other horses, a judge was told. Witness Helen Evans saw the meat trader drag a horse to a trailer using a rope tied around its neck and tail as it winced in agony, it was said.  The ten-week trial of Gray and four others began at Bicester Magistrates' Court yesterday.  Robert Seabrook QC, prosecuting for the RSPCA, said the accused showed a 'callous indifference to the welfare and suffering of those animals'.

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1093175/The-grotesque-cruelty-meat-trader-left-100-horses-donkeys-starving-living-filth.html#ixzz0UvhIxFPz

    The major contributor to this section is Animals' Angels. The are the watchdogs of these animals and the treatment from slaughter houses and transporters. 

                                      Support us!We are there with the animals” - and only you can make it possible. Animals’ Angels does not receive any kind of official funding. Our inspectors are out there every week at markets, slaughterhouses and collecting stations to improve the poor conditions for farm animals.  We are dedicated to a compassionate and respectful treatment of all of them. We are funded entirely by people who want to make a difference – people like you.  Please support our work through your donation!
    Animals' Angels USA, PO BOX 1056, Westminster, MD 21158
    Thank you!



    The U.S. Bureau of Land Management ( BLM ) Accused of Secrecy, Denying Full Public Access To Roundup And Gives Only Glimpse of Deaths & Suffering

    Washington, DC – January 22, 2010 – The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is now revealing that two more wild horses have died and up to 25 are under treatment for injuries as a result of the helicopter stampede and roundup currently underway in the Calico Mountains Complex in northwestern Nevada.  In response, In Defense of Animals (IDA) is calling for full investigation of these deaths and full and ongoing access for public observers to all aspects of the highly controversial roundup and capture operation.

    The latest victims of the BLM roundup include:

    * A small colt was run so hard and long that he was killed due to “multiple hoof sloughs from the capture.”

    * A mare who went down in the trailer transport truck after being stampeded by helicopter for miles into capture pens and loaded onto a trailer. No help was available for this downed mare on the 4-5 hour drive between Calico and the Fallon holding facility. She was still down on arrival and died shortly thereafter.

    * 20 to 25 horses at the holding facility who are receiving “treatment for various injuries or lameness.”

    * The BLM  admits that 20 to 30 mares have miscarried since late December.

    “These latest tragic and unnecessary deaths document beyond doubt that the BLM helicopter stampedes violate federal requirements for humane and minimally-intrusive management of wild horses,” said Elliot M. Katz, DVM, president of IDA.

    “In Defense of Animals is calling for a full and independent investigation of these and other fatalities and injuries caused by the Calico roundup,” Katz continued. “Further, we reiterate our request for full and continuing access for public observers to witness all aspects of the capture operation. Only then can full transparency of BLM’s activities be achieved.” http://www.idanews.org/ida-breaking-news/gov%E2%80%99t-roundup-kills-more-wild-horses_01-22-2010/

    Another Wild Horse Foal Killed by BLM Actions

    February 2, 2010 Written by Steven Long, editor/publisher of “Horseback Magazine

    47 now killed and counting

    Foal lying down prior to dying - Photo by Laura Leigh

    HOUSTON, (Horseback) – The federal Bureau of Land Management confirmed today that a second foal has died at their hands after losing its hooves possibly from being driven down a Nevada mountainside by a roaring helicopter. “Apparently there has been one more foal that was euthanized because of hoof Sloughs,” BLM spokeswoman JoLynn Worley of the agency’s Winnemucca office told Horseback Online. The agency classifies the 1669 horses it has rounded up at the current Calico Mountain gather as “excess.” Horseback has asked for the report of the BLM veterinarian who treated the foal. The foal died Saturday after two weeks of treatment. Helicopter induced roundups have consistently resulted in wild horse deaths according to BLM statistics released late last year to Horseback Magazine. In 2008, 45 percent of the roundups resulted in at least one fatality, and on one in Nevada, 27 horses died. The total number of deaths through injury or for other reasons totaled 126 animals that year. The 2009 percentage of dead horses on BLM roundups is slightly worse at 46 percent resulting in at least one horse death. In July, a Wyoming gather proved fatal to 11 horses. Over the two years prior to the 2010 roundup season a total of 205 horses died at the agency’s hands

    In BLM roundups, horses are often driven down miles of rocky slopes by a roaring helicopter. Such was the case in Wyoming this year when 11 horses died at Coconut Creek when 349 horses were caught.



    Make a free website with Yola